I stumbled across a pack of air dry clay at a Bunnings a few months ago and thought this would be a great way to have a go at making a pair of Amalfi-inspired ceramic earrings. They are perfect for a handmade gift or would work perfectly with a summer dress in the summer. Whatever the purpose, do hope you enjoy making them!
THH Difficulty Level:
What you’ll need:
– earring hooks and pliers
– blue acrylic paint and paint brush
– rolling pin, circular mold and a small knife (I used the lil ones’ Play-Doh tools)
– baking mat or non-stick surface
– food colouring (if you want to add a pastel tone to your earrings)
To make the clay earrings:
- Take a few pieces of clay and keep the remainder in an airtight container.
- Roll them into small balls and flatten it using the rolling pin.
- Cut the circles and cut them in half.
- Using a toothpick, create a small piercing to attach the earring hooks.
- Leave them to dry overnight.
Painting and attaching the earring hooks:
- Once the clay pieces are dry, even the surfaces with a sandpaper or nail file.
- Mix the paint and start painting. Leave them to dry for an hour.
- Attach hooks, tassels or accessories.