Making soap is actually not as difficult as I thought it would be… That is, if you cheat and use an existing soap as the base! After many Pinterest posts (how did I function before this App?) and rummaging through my kitchen condiments, I thought I’d play around with it and give it a go.
THH Difficulty rating: Moderate
Time taken: 20 minutes
What you’ll need:
– a scent free soap, I used goat milk soap which is mild on the baby’ skin too
– ground cinnamon (I cut a cinnamon tea bag)
– chamomile (I cut a chamomile tea bag)
- Melt the soap –
- If you have a microwave oven, you can cut it into cubes and run it in the microwave for a few minutes until it melts.
- Unfortunately, we are one of those families who don’t have a microwave oven, so I ‘bein-marie’-d it! The cubes didn’t work so I had to grate it and add a little bit of water into the mix (50ml tops). Alas, it started to melt in a few minutes.
- Once the base was creamy, I added some honey. I would say about 100ml, then after stirring it through, the ground cinnamon and chamomile (you can add any spice/dried leaf/essence of choice). Take the mix off the stove and keep stirring without letting it set
- Get a container and sprinkle some ground cinnamon.
- Pour the mix into the container and let it set for about two hours.
You can try various combos – lavender soap, green tea soap or even coffee soap – it all works. Package it right and it can be a luxurious gift option too!